There exists a digital divide between the young to middle aged and the old. People over 70 and older are mostly apathetic about computers and the internet. Yet the retired generation offers a huge potential market. If computer companies and telecoms are unable or unwilling to engage the retired by offering user friendly applications then the digital divide will deepen as the elderly age.
I for one am apathetic too, who cares if older adults don't care about being connected. My Mom tried email, the internet and word processing. Nothing captured her attention. I would only encourage her to use computers if she thought it would keep her mind active.
I do not sympathize with computer companies and their loss of market share among the elderly. If older adults don't care about technology that's fine with me, after all being "connected" isn't everything. I suggest to older people, as an alternative, try to learn a foreign language.
Friday, September 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
It is scertainly the right of any person to take a pass on computers. However, it seems that the elderly are often left behind in the ever evolving techno frenzy. You make a good point when you mention the huge market that is currently geing overlooked. People are living longer all the time and it would be mutually beneficial for the computer industry and the internet to reach out to the elderly.Some libraries are doing their part to aid in the cause by offering computer classes specifically for senior citizens. Hopefully,we will see more in the near future.
I think this is a really relevant topic. My Grandma and I have computer lessons every time I go see her because she wants to learn for example how to transfer pictures from her digital camera to her computer. She is excited about computers and wants to learn. However, she has to rely on her grandchildren to teach her how to use them because there is no reason for the over 70 crowd. I think there are lots of people in this crowd that want to learn it is more a matter of who is going to teach them.
Hi Peggy!
I actually did my final paper on the Digital Divide last semester in a Library and Information Technology class. The topic still facinates me. I like that you mention the senior community and their access to the Internet. My Mom and many of her senior friends are falling behind (or feel that way). For example, when my Mom went to the bank to clear up a beaurocratic mistake, they told her to check her account online. Unfortunately, she does not even use email much less surf the net. She says that it is all to foreign to her to learn it at her age. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I have a senior friend I met while working at a Senior Center, and he teaches computer classes at the center. I think he is rather exceptional though and I think many seniors feel uncomfortable with digital technology. I look forward to reading the rest of your blog. Great topic!
I agree - sometimes I wish we were less connected! While it's a great way to keep in touch, there are other great ways too. I have an aunt who uses both to stay in touch, and I really enjoy it. One week I'll get an email, then next a little hand-written card in the mail - the best of both worlds! :)
My Grandma is 90 and she emails, downloads things and doesn't like it if her computer is down. I truly admire her for taking this on at her age. She keeps outliving her husbands. The last time she got married she was 72! With this said, I think learning anything requires one to be interested in the subject. Peggy, I like your idea of learning a foreign language. A lot of older people play cards and that helps them to keep their minds sharp. Gee, I wonder if my Grandma is playing Solitaire on her computer now?
Post a Comment